Intellectual Property Services
Businesses and innovators need easy, cost-effective ways to protect their inventions, their brands, and their designs in multiple countries.
WIPO offers a range of global services for protecting intellectual property (IP) across borders, and for resolving IP disputes outside the courts.
Whether you are a multinational business or an individual, our services provide you with a fast, efficient and cost-effective route for protecting your inventions, trademarks or designs across borders.
Seek patent protection in multiple countries by filing one international application. The PCT system:
- postpones the major costs associated with international patent protection;
- provides you with a strong basis for patenting decisions;
- is used by the world’s major corporations, research institutions and universities.
Register your trademarks in multiple countries by filing one international application. The Madrid System:
- saves you time and money;
- includes members representing over 80% of world trade;
- enables you to manage and renew your marks through one centralized system.
Register industrial designs in multiple countries with a minimum of formalities and expense. The Hague system:
- replaces multiple registrations with just one;
- lets you register up to 100 industrial designs with one form;
- makes management of your registered designs easier — record changes or renewals through a single step.
The Lisbon system provides a means of obtaining protection for appellations of origin in several countries through a single registration procedure in one language, with one set of fees in one currency.
Article 6ter of the Paris Convention enables governments to protect their flags and other state emblems; and intergovernmental organizations to protect their names, abbreviations and emblems.
Resolving IP disputes
Our international Alternative Dispute Resolution services enable you to resolve IP disputes outside the courts, in a single neutral forum, saving significant time and money.
Our fast, flexible and cost-effective services for settling IP and technology disputes outside the courts include:
- Mediation — where an impartial mediator helps two or more parties in dispute reach a mutually acceptable agreement between themselves.
- Arbitration — where the parties agree to submit their dispute to an arbitrator, who then makes a final, binding decision (award).
- Expert determination — where the parties agree to submit a specific issue (such as a technical question, or the valuation of an IP asset, or royalty rates) to one or more experts who make a determination.
We are the leading international service-provider for disputes relating to Internet domain names - or “cybersquatting.”
Our dispute resolution procedure is conducted in electronic format and delivers enforceable decisions within just two months.
Secure exchange of documents
DAS: The WIPO Digital Access Service (DAS) system enables participating IP offices to exchange priority and other similar documents securely among themselves.
CASE: The WIPO Centralized Access to Search and Examination (CASE) system enables patent offices to securely share search and examination documentation related to patent applications, facilitating a more effective and efficient international examination process.