WIPO's Senior Management Team comprises the eight Deputy and Assistant Directors General (DDGs and ADGs), plus the Legal Counsel and the Director of Human Resources. They are responsible for assisting the Director General in the strategic direction of WIPO’s programs, and for managing their respective Sectors to deliver the expected results set out in the Program and Budget. The current team (from December 1, 2014) is:
- Ms. Anne Leer, DDG, Culture and Creative Industries Sector
- Mr. Mario Matus, DDG, Development Sector
- Mr. John Sandage, DDG, Patents and Technology Sector
- Ms. Binying Wang, DDG, Brands and Designs Sector
- Mr. Minelik Getahun, ADG, Global Issues Sector
- Mr. Naresh Prasad, ADG, Chief of Staff
- Mr. Ambi Sundaram, ADG, Administration and Management Sector
- Mr. Yoshiyuki (Yo) Takagi, ADG, Global Infrastructure Sector
- Director of the Human Resources Management Department (Ms. Cornelia Moussa)
- Legal Counsel, Office of the Legal Counsel (Mr. Edward Kwakwa)
Deputy Director General Anne Leer (Norway) leads WIPO’s activities in the field of copyright and related rights, and in communications. The Sector's work includes:
- supporting the work of member states in the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR);
- developing copyright infrastructure, including support to collective management organizations and national copyright offices; and conducting studies on the economic performance of creative industries;
- building capacity in developing countries to use the copyright system to extract greater economic value from their cultural and other creative works; and
- administering the Accessible Books Consortium;
- delivering WIPO's programs on communications.
Deputy Director General Mario Matus (Chile) is responsible for WIPO's development programs, including:
- coordination of the Development Agenda;
- the Regional Bureaus for Africa; Arab countries; Asia and the Pacific; Latin America and the Caribbean; and cooperation with Least Developed Countries (LDCs);
- the WIPO Academy; and
- special projects, such as the Technical Assistance Database and other Development Agenda database projects.
Deputy Director General John Sandage (U.S.) oversees the Patents and Technology Sector. This includes managing:
- the PCT International Patent System;
- the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center
- support for the Standing Committee on the Law of Patents (SCP); and
- legislative advice to member states.
Deputy Director General Binying Wang (China) is responsible for the Brands and Designs Sector. This includes:
- supporting the work of member states in the Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT);
- managing the Madrid System for International Trademark Registrations; the Hague System for International Design Registrations; and the Lisbon System for International Registrations of Appellations of Origin.
- providing legislative advice to member states in the area of trademarks, industrial designs and geographical indications; and
Assistant Director General Minelik Getahun (Ethiopia) oversees the Sector for Global Issues. The Sector brings together a number of programs that address cross-cutting issues, including:
- traditional knowledge, traditional cultural expressions, and genetic resources;
- building respect for intellectual property (IP);
- IP and global challenges;
- external relations; and
- IP and competition policy.
Assistant Director General Naresh Prasad (India) is Chief of Staff in the Office of the Director General. His responsibilities include:
- managing the Office of the Director General to ensure efficient coordination in support of the priorities and goals set out by the Director General;
- assemblies affairs;
- the WIPO Ethics Office;
- WIPO external offices
Assistant Director General Ramanthan Ambi Sundaram (Sri Lanka) is responsible for the Administration and Management Sector. This includes:
- program planning and finance, including support for the Program and Budget Committee (PBC)
- procurement and travel services;
- information and communication technology (ICT);
- conference and language services;
- premises and infrastructure management;
- security and information assurance.
Assistant Director General Yo Takagi leads the Global Infrastructure Sector. The Sector facilitates the sharing of IP knowledge by developing sustainable knowledge infrastructures, free global IP databases, and common platforms to connect IP offices. Its work includes:
- international classifications and WIPO IP standards;
- access to knowledge and information, including Global IP databases (such as PATENTSCOPE and the Global Brand Database), and Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISCs);
- business solutions for IP offices and the establishment of common platforms such as WIPO CASE.