- The PCT Information Service answers general inquiries about the filing of international applications and the procedure to be followed during the international phase of the PCT. For an overview of the PCT system please see Protecting your Inventions Abroad: Frequently Asked Questions about the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT).
The PCT Information Service can be contacted as follows:
- Telephone: +41 22 338 83 38
- Until December 31, 2019 Fax: +41 22 338 83 39
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone opening hours are from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Central European time (from 3.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. (noon) US Eastern time zone).
- Please note that correspondence relating to specific international applications should be addressed to the PCT Operations Division, preferably uploaded through ePCT: (this may be done through ePCT with or without strong authentication), Contingency Upload Service (FAQs) or you can contact the “authorized officer” directly.
- Specifically and only for inquiries relating to:
- international applications filed directly with the International Bureau (IB) in its capacity as receiving Office (RO/IB), or
- international applications transmitted to the IB as receiving Office under PCT Rule 19.4 (that is: where the national (or regional) Office with which the application was filed is not competent to receive the application concerned; where the application is not in a language accepted by that national Office; or for any other reason where the national Office and the IB agree that the procedure under this Rule should apply),
Please contact the PCT Receiving Office Section of the IB:
- Telephone: +41 22 338 92 22
- Until December 31, 2019 Fax: +41 22 910 06 10
- E-mail: email@example.com
Further information on filing directly at the IB.
- As of January 1, 2020, the International Bureau (IB), also as receiving Office (RO/IB) will no longer send faxes. Although strongly discouraged, applicants will be able to send faxes to the IB, including as RO/IB, at: +41 22 338 82 70 or +41 22 338 90 90. Applicants who intend to send a fax to the IB during regular business hours at the IB (9.00 to 18.00, Central European Time), should contact the “authorized officer” indicated on the PCT forms by telephone to inform them that they plan to send a fax (the telephone number can be found at https://pct.wipo.int/ePCTExternal/pages/TeamLookup.xhtml). If outside of business hours at the IB, applicants can leave a message on the answering machine. If applicants do send documents to the IB by fax it will still be necessary to furnish the original of the document within 14 days from the date of transmission if the document concerned is the international application or a replacement sheet containing corrections or amendments of the international application.