- The organization shall be essentially concerned with intellectual property matters within the competence of WIPO and shall, in the view of the Director General, be able to offer constructive, substantive contributions to the deliberations of the Assemblies of WIPO;
- The aims and purposes of the organization shall be in conformity with the spirit, purposes and principles of WIPO and the United Nations;
- The organization shall have an established headquarters. It shall have democratically adopted statutes, adopted in conformity with the legislation of the Member State from which the NGO originates. One copy of the statutes shall be submitted to WIPO;
- The organization shall have authority to speak for its members through its authorized representatives and in accordance with the rules governing observer status; and
- The admission of national NGOs to observer status shall be the subject of prior consultations between Member States and the Secretariat.
Requests for ad hoc observer status at specific meetings should be submitted to the Secretariat, who will pass the request to the relevant committee for consideration.