How to file your international application: Form and content

Once you have applied for or registered a domestic mark with your Office of origin (in other words, once you have obtained a “basic mark”), you can file an international application under the Madrid System.  This application must be submitted to your Office of origin, which will check that it corresponds with the particulars of your basic mark, certify the international application, and then submit it to WIPO.

Application Form

To file an international application, Form MM2 1 (available in English, French and Spanish) must be used.

eFiling is available for international applications filed through the IP Offices of Australia and Benelux. Learn more about eFiling PDF, Learn more about eFiling.

You must send the Form MM2 to your local Office (Office of origin). Do not send it directly to WIPO.
All international applications designating the United States of America must also include Form MM18 (Declaration of intention to use the mark).

For further detailed information consult the explanatory notes on the Form MM2 PDF, Form MM2, paragraphs B.II.01.01 to 10.02 of the Guide to the International Registration of Marks under the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol, pages 17 to 28 of "Making the most of the Madrid System" PDF, Making the most of the Madrid System, and Information Notice No. 23/2014 PDF, Information Notice No. 23/2014.

List of goods and services

You should classify the list of goods and services in accordance with the latest International Classification of Goods and Services (Nice Classification). For this purpose, use Madrid Goods & Services Manager.
  • Examination guidelines concerning the classification of goods and services PDF, Examination guidelines concerning the classification of goods and services

Note that you cannot expand or broaden the list of goods and services after you have submitted your international application, not even to cover goods and services mentioned in the basic mark. If you want to broaden your list after submitting Form MM2, you will need to file a new international application.

  1. Official forms MM1 and MM3 are no longer applicable since all members of the Madrid Union are at this time also members of the Protocol. All international applications shall be filed using the MM2 International Application form