Judiciaries and Intellectual Property
WIPO supports judiciaries in dealing with the novel legal questions that often arise from intellectual property (IP) disputes in a rapidly changing technological environment. The WIPO Judicial Institute and relevant WIPO sectors work with judges from around the world to create a space for dialogue and exchange of information and practices, to deliver capacity building activities, and to increase the availability of information about IP and courts.
Our work is guided by an Advisory Board of Judges who represent broad geographical and technical coverage. Members serve in their personal capacity for two year terms.
- Annabelle BENNETT, Former Judge, Federal Court of Australia, Sydney, Australia (Chair);
- Mohamed Mahmoud AL KAMALI, Director General, Institute of Training and Judicial Studies, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates;
- Colin BIRSS, Justice, High Court of England and Wales, London, United Kingdom;
- Edgardo Mateo ETTLIN GUAZZO, Minister, Court of Appeals, Montevideo, Uruguay;
- Klaus GRABINSKI, Judge, Federal Court of Justice, Karlsruhe, Germany;
- Louis T.C. HARMS, Former Deputy President, Supreme Court of Appeal, Bloemfontein, South Africa, and Judge of Appeal, Court of Appeal, Botswana
- KI Woojong, Judge, Seoul High Court, Republic of Korea;
- Marie-Françoise MARAIS, Honorary Advisor, Court of Cassation, Paris, France;
- Maria Rowena MODESTO-SAN PEDRO, Associate Justice, Court of Tax Appeals, Quezon City, Philippines;
- Max Lambert NDÉMA ELONGUÉ, President, Court of First Instance, Yaoundé Ekounou, Cameroon;
- Kathleen M. O’MALLEY, Circuit Judge, Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Washington D.C., United States of America;
- Manmohan SINGH, Former Chairman, Intellectual Property Appellate Board, New Delhi; Former Judge, High Court of Delhi, India;
- SHIMIZU Misao, Former Chief Judge, Intellectual Property High Court, Tokyo, Japan;
- TAO Kaiyuan, Justice, Vice President, Supreme People’s Court, Beijing, China;
- Vesna TODOROVIĆ, Judge, Commercial Appellate Court, Belgrade, Serbia.