"Glwa", Heiltsuk canoe (UN Photo/John Isaac)
Links to resources for indigenous peoples and local communities.
Participating in the WIPO Intergovernmental Committee (IGC)
The WIPO IGC is undertaking text-based negotiations with the objective of reaching agreement on a text (or texts) of an international legal instrument (or instruments) which will ensure the effective protection of traditional knowledge, traditional cultural expressions and genetic resources.
WIPO Indigenous Fellowship Program
Indigenous fellows work in WIPO’s Traditional Knowledge Division on issues relevant to indigenous peoples, including the IGC, WIPO’s outreach to indigenous peoples and local communities, WIPO’s cooperation with the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Events, Publications and Documents
- Practical workshop for Indigenous Peoples and local communities on intellectual property and traditional knowledge
- Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions: An Overview
- Background Briefs on Selected Topics
- WIPO Traditional Knowledge Documentation Toolkit
- Customary Law and Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property and Human Rights
- Traditional Knowledge Documentation and IP (WIPO side event at the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues - May 21, 2013)
- WIPO presentation at United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (May 10, 2012)
- Message of the WIPO Director General on the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples (August 9, 2013)
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Indigenous Peoples' Center for Documentation, Research and Information (doCip) – for technical assistance during the IGC
- WIPO and the protection of traditional knowledge & culture (Solid Arts video by the Arts Law Center of Australia)