In April 2009, WIPO was mandated by its member states to carry out a pilot project to establish Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISCs) within the framework of its Development Agenda.
In particular, the project aims to address Recommendation 8 of the Development Agenda, which calls on WIPO to “[facilitate] the national offices of developing countries, especially LDCs, as well as their regional and subregional intellectual property organizations to access specialized databases…”.
The project approved by the member states comprises two core clusters of activities, namely access to specialized databases and capacity building.
WIPO support to TISCs
Within the context of a joint engagement with national and regional industrial property authorities, WIPO supports the effective operation of TISCs by:
- Facilitating access to databases;
- Training of trainers and local users (on-site and distance learning);
- Providing information and training materials;
- Supporting awareness-raising activities;
- Disseminating best practices and experiences among TISCs.
Hosting a TISC
Institutions interested in hosting TISCs should contact their respective national or regional industrial property office. Possible TISC host institutions include:
- National and Regional Patent Offices
- Universities and Academic Institutions
- Science and Research Centers
- Local and Regional Technoparks
- Chambers of Commerce
- Other public institutions of similar type
- Questionnaire on Progress and Needs Assessment - Results (December 2013)
- Questionnaire on Progress and Needs Assessment - Results (December 2012)
- Independent Evaluation Report of the Project on Specialized Databases’ Access and Support (April 16, 2012)
- Questionnaire on Progress and Needs Assessment - Results (December 2011)
- CDIP Progress Reports (November 1, 2011)
- Overview of services offering access to patent and non-patent data (October 22, 2010)
- Progress Reports on Development Agenda Projects (October 1, 2010)
- Progress Report on Projects for Implementation of Recommendations 2, 5, 8, 9 and 10 (October 23, 2009)
- Project Documents for Implementation of Recommendations 2, 5, 8, 9 and 10 (March 30, 2009)