About Intellectual Property IP Training IP Outreach IP for… IP and... IP in... Patent & Technology Information Trademark Information Industrial Design Information Geographical Indication Information Plant Variety Information (UPOV) IP Laws, Treaties & Judgements IP Resources IP Reports Patent Protection Trademark Protection Industrial Design Protection Geographical Indication Protection Plant Variety Protection (UPOV) IP Dispute Resolution IP Office Business Solutions Paying for IP Services Negotiation & Decision-Making Development Cooperation Innovation Support Public-Private Partnerships The Organization Working with WIPO Accountability Patents Trademarks Industrial Designs Geographical Indications Copyright Trade Secrets WIPO Academy Workshops & Seminars World IP Day WIPO Magazine Raising Awareness Case Studies & Success Stories IP News WIPO Awards Business Universities Indigenous Peoples Judiciaries Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions Economics Gender Equality Global Health Climate Change Competition Policy Sustainable Development Goals Enforcement Frontier Technologies Mobile Applications Sports Tourism PATENTSCOPE Patent Analytics International Patent Classification ARDI – Research for Innovation ASPI – Specialized Patent Information Global Brand Database Madrid Monitor Article 6ter Express Database Nice Classification Vienna Classification Global Design Database International Designs Bulletin Hague Express Database Locarno Classification Lisbon Express Database Global Brand Database for GIs PLUTO Plant Variety Database GENIE Database WIPO-Administered Treaties WIPO Lex - IP Laws, Treaties & Judgments WIPO Standards IP Statistics WIPO Pearl (Terminology) WIPO Publications Country IP Profiles WIPO Knowledge Center WIPO Technology Trends Global Innovation Index World Intellectual Property Report PCT – The International Patent System ePCT Budapest – The International Microorganism Deposit System Madrid – The International Trademark System eMadrid Article 6ter (armorial bearings, flags, state emblems) Hague – The International Design System eHague Lisbon – The International System of Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications eLisbon UPOV PRISMA Mediation Arbitration Expert Determination Domain Name Disputes Centralized Access to Search and Examination (CASE) Digital Access Service (DAS) WIPO Pay Current Account at WIPO WIPO Assemblies Standing Committees Calendar of Meetings WIPO Official Documents Development Agenda Technical Assistance IP Training Institutions COVID-19 Support National IP Strategies Policy & Legislative Advice Cooperation Hub Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISC) Technology Transfer Inventor Assistance Program WIPO GREEN WIPO's Pat-INFORMED Accessible Books Consortium WIPO for Creators WIPO ALERT Member States Observers Director General Activities by Unit External Offices Job Vacancies Procurement Results & Budget Financial Reporting Oversight

[process2-comments] RFC-3

To: process.mail@wipo.int
From: "Adrian Stephan"
Subject: Comment
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:24:49 +1000

My comments are based on first hand experience as an Australian small business.

My company Logistics Pty Ltd was incorporated under Australian law in 1987, that is, the word "logistics" was approved as my company name. In late 1994 I applied for the domain name logistics.com.au and was declined on the grounds (as advised by the ISP) that only 8 character names were being accepted. In early 1995 logistic.com.au was approved as my domain name. In early 1999 I noticed that there were many names longer than 8 characters and I applied to vary my domain name from logistic.com.au to logistics.com.au. That is, to add an "s" to my existing name. However, this was declined by MelbourneIT on the grounds that it was a generic word, although I have never had it fully explained to me why it is a generic word. The fact that it was my company name was totally irrelevant to the situation. Notwithstanding, MelbourneIT has approved other names that are generic if logistics is generic, viz reliability.com.au, grad.com.au and dependability.com.au to state a few.

It does seem counter-intuitive and simply unjust that some companies can have their names or parts of their names approved (some of them generic) as domain names and others cannot have their lawful name as a domain name.

I note the very comprehensive discussions about trade names, etc in the report. However, I believe it overlooks one very real issue that is fundamental to a larger and related problem.

A chronic problem facing many places in the world is stolen identity (passports, credit cards, bank accounts, etc). Although the focus seems to be on individuals, small businesses suffer exactly the same problem as well, and it is probably more difficult to detect. The irony of all of this is the police and other agencies are telling us to take every step and precaution to protect our identities; however, the domain name process seems to be more interested on giving away identities on some esoteric or altruistic, but nevertheless flawed, notion. As identity theft is a fast growing problem, I believe that WIPO should strongly focus on identity theft and make sure its domain names approval processes are designed to stop identity theft as the first priority. The current situation in Australia is, that despite police warnings about indentity theft and the need to protect an identity, I cannot protect the identity of myself or my company because of indeterminate logic in MelbourneIT and auDA (Australian Domain Name Authority) that continues to deny me the right to use my lawfully approved company name as my domain name.

Given the use of the same words throughout the world it is most likely that the identity would be best administered on a country basis. It seems obvious that a xyz.com.au will be a different identity to a xyz.com, etc.

In my opinion the following two key principles should apply within a soveriegn .com domain space (e.g..com.au) in approving domain names, above any other criteria. It should at least enable a small business to take key basic steps to protect its identity.

The identical words or word approved as a company or business name is allowed to be a domain name irrespective of any other criteria, as of right. That is, the identical words or word with no variations of any type are allowed.

Any adaption of the words or word to form a shorter domain name (an alias), cannot be approved if the proposed word is identical to a word that has already been approved to someone else. That is, if your company name is xyz abc and you want abc, you cannot have abc if there is already a registered company or business named abc.

In the report it identifies several Court decisions. I think the decision in the New Zealand High Court on qantas.co.nz is also relevant.

In his decision in the NZ High Court decision regarding qantas.co.nz, Justice Anderson commented inter alia "It is important to appreciate, of course, that the domain name is the gateway to exploitation and the defendant's registration has blocked the gate. Such registration is ... an instrument of fraud". Source QANTAS Press Release dated 17 December 1999, Qantas Wins Landmark Internet Case.

If you have any comments or need further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Adrian Stephan

Note changed contact information (1)

Adrian Stephan (Managing Director)