WIPO at INTA 2019
April 29, 2019
The 141st Annual Meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) takes place at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Massachusetts (USA) from May 18 to 22, 2019. The event will bring together over 10,000 IP professionals from across the world to highlight and discuss key industry developments.
Senior WIPO officials will once again be present at this signature occasion, sharing insights and ideas, and updating you on the continuous evolution of the Madrid System.
Date: Sunday, May 19 (10:15–12:00)
Venue: Room 258A
A unique opportunity to engage directly with WIPO experts and special guests.
- Updates on the Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks and the Hague System for the International Registration of Industrial Designs – with Registry Directors David Muls and Grégoire Bisson;
- A session with trademark representatives on the Better Use of the Madrid System: Online Services for the Maintenance of Rights
- Introducing newly acceded members, with representatives from:
- Canada – A representative of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office;
- Malawi – Chifwayi Chirambo, Chief Assistant Registrar General, Department of the Registrar General;
- Samoa – Pulotu Lyndon Chiu Ling, Chief Executive Officer, Registrar, Registries of Companies and Intellectual Property Division (RCIP).
Meet WIPO experts and representatives of members' IP offices and get answers to all your questions about the Madrid and Hague Systems, at the WIPO booth (no. 101) in the Exhibition Hall A.
- Sunday, May 19 (10:00 – 16:00)
- Monday, May 20 (10:00 – 17:00)
- Tuesday, May 21 (10:00 – 17:00)
- Wednesday, May 22 (10:00 – 14:00)
Having been such a hit in 2018, online services demo sessions at the WIPO booth return for 2019.
For 2019, we’ll be showing off our recently launched AI-powered image-search technology – a faster and easier way to establish trademark distinction in target markets and our new Madrid e-Renewal service. Demos include:
Get an overview of the online tools and resources supporting you at each stage of your International Trademark Registration. Madrid online services include the Global Brand Database, Member Profiles Database, Madrid Goods & Services Manager, Madrid Monitor, and more.
Monday, May 20 (10:30 – 11:00)
Learn how to browse brand information from multiple national and international sources using the Global Brand Database, and try the new AI-powered image search for trademarks in your target markets.
- Monday, May 20 (11:30 – 12:00)
- Monday, May 20 (15:30 – 16:00)
- Tuesday, May 21 (10:30 – 11:00)
- Tuesday, May 21 (15:30 – 16:00)
- Wednesday, May 22 (11:30 – 12:00)
Find out how to compile the list of goods and services required for your trademark application using Madrid Goods & Services Manager, including how to use class heading explanatory notes, translate your list, check acceptability of terms, and export your list.
Tuesday, May 21 (14:30 – 15:00)
Discover how to make the most of the Madrid Portfolio Manager to manage your International Registrations, and how to renew your internationally registered trademark using our Madrid e-Renewal service. This is the perfect opportunity to learn more about service enhancements to achieve 100% online renewal with improved clarity, instant tracking and fewer mistakes.
- Monday, May 20 (14:30 – 15:00)
- Tuesday, May 21 (11: 30 – 12:00)
- Wednesday, May 22 (10:30 – 11:00)
Your chance to discuss a wide range of contemporary topics within small groups of like-minded professionals over breakfast or lunch – and enjoy some great networking opportunities.
The Madrid System: Common Pitfalls and how to Avoid them
Ásta Valdimarsdóttir, Director, Madrid Information and Promotion Division, Madrid Registry
Monday, May 20 (08:00 – 10:00)
Protecting Industrial Designs Internationally: The Hague Agreement concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs
Grégoire Bisson, Director, Hague Registry
Tuesday, May 21 (08:00 – 10:00)
How to Resolve your IP Dispute through WIPO ADR
Erik Wilbers, Senior Director, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center
Wednesday, May 22 (08:00 – 10:00)
Domain Name Disputes: an Update on WIPO UDRP Jurisprudence – including GDPR-related Issues
Brian Beckham, Head of the Internet Dispute Resolution Section, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center
Wednesday, May 22 (13:15 – 15:15)
See you in Boston!
We’re excited about this year’s INTA Annual Meeting, and we look forward to seeing you there in May.