The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the upcoming session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
The Thirty-Seventh Session of the IGC was held from August 27 to 31, 2018, and addressed traditional knowledge and traditional cultural expressions.
The working documents for the 37th session of the IGC are:
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Draft Articles
- The Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions: Draft Articles
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Updated Draft Gap Analysis
- The Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions: Updated Draft Gap Analysis
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Databases Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Disclosure Regimes Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for a Study on Traditional Knowledge
- EU Proposal for a Study on Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Joint Recommendation on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on the Use of Databases for the Defensive Protection of Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge Associated with Genetic Resources
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for the Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Measures Related to the Avoidance of the Erroneous Grant of Patents and Compliance with Existing Access and Benefit-Sharing Systems
- The Economic Impact of Patent Delays and Uncertainty: S. Concerns about Proposals for New Patent Disclosure Requirements
The Chair prepared an Information Note on Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions for IGC 37.
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2018/2019
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 4: Intellectual Property and Arts Festivals
- Background brief No. 5: Intellectual Property and Traditional Handicrafts
- Background brief No. 6: Intellectual Property and Traditional Medical Knowledge
- Background brief No. 7: Customary Law and Traditional Knowledge
- Background brief No. 8: Alternative Dispute Resolution for Disputes Related to Intellectual Property and Traditional Knowledge, Traditional Cultural Expressions and Genetic Resources
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Documenting Traditional Knowledge: A Toolkit
- Protect and Promote Your Culture: A Practical Guide to Intellectual Property for Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities
Informal information session
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides member state representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 37 took place at WIPO Headquarters (Room NB 0.107) on August 21, 2018.
Video: Informal information session (August 21, 2018)
Preparation kits of previous IGC session
- Thirty-sixth session (June 25 to 29, 2018)
- Thirty-fifth session (March 19, to 23, 2018)
- Thirty-fourth session (June 12 to 16, 2017)
- Thirty-third session (February 27 to March 3, 2017)
- Thirty-second session (November 28 to December 2, 2016)
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)