The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the next session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
The thirty-second session of the IGC (November 28 to December 2, 2016) will address the theme of traditional knowledge.
A seminar on Intellectual Property and Traditional Knowledge will be organized on November 24 and 25, 2016, prior to IGC 32.
The working documents for the 32nd session of the IGC are:
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Draft Articles
- Indicative List of Outstanding/Pending Issues to be Tackled/Solved
- Joint Recommendation on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on the Use of Databases for the Defensive Protection of Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge Associated with Genetic Resources
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for the Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Measures related to the Avoidance of the Erroneous Grant of Patents and Compliance with Existing Access and Benefit-Sharing Systems
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for a Study
The summary of documents provides a short explanation of the session’s documents.
The Chair has prepared an Information Note for IGC 32.
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2016/2017
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 7: Customary Law and Traditional Knowledge
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
Informal information session
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides member states' representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 32 took place at WIPO Headquarters (Room NB 0.107) on November 7, 2016, at 3:00 p.m.
VIDEO: November 7, 2016 informal information session.
Preparation kits of previous IGC sessions
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)