The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the upcoming session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
An ad hoc expert group on traditional knowledge and traditional cultural expressions will meet on December 9, 2018.
The working documents for the 38th session of the IGC are:
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Draft Articles
- The Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions: Draft Articles
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Updated Draft Gap Analysis
- The Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions: Updated Draft Gap Analysis
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Databases Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Disclosure Regimes Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on the Use of Databases for the Defensive Protection of Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge Associated with Genetic Resources
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for the Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Measures Related to the Avoidance of the Erroneous Grant of Patents and Compliance with Existing Access and Benefit-Sharing Systems
- Proposal for a Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Existing Sui Generis Systems for the Protection of Traditional Knowledge in WIPO Member States
- Identifying Examples of Traditional Knowledge to Stimulate a Discussion of what should be Protectable Subject Matter and what is not Intended to be Protected
- The Economic Impact of Patent Delays and Uncertainty: U.S. Concerns about Proposals for New Patent Disclosure Requirements
The Chair prepared an Information Note on Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions for IGC 38.
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2018/2019
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 4: Intellectual Property and Arts Festivals
- Background brief No. 5: Intellectual Property and Traditional Handicrafts
- Background brief No. 6: Intellectual Property and Traditional Medical Knowledge
- Background brief No. 7: Customary Law and Traditional Knowledge
- Background brief No. 8: Alternative Dispute Resolution for Disputes Related to Intellectual Property and Traditional Knowledge, Traditional Cultural Expressions and Genetic Resources
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Documenting Traditional Knowledge: A Toolkit
- Protect and Promote Your Culture: A Practical Guide to Intellectual Property for Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides member state representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 38 took place at WIPO Headquarters on November 26, 2018.
Video: Informal information session (November 26, 2018)
Preparation kits of previous IGC sessions
- Thirty-seventh session (August 27 to 31, 2018)
- Thirty-sixth session (June 25 to 29, 2018)
- Thirty-fifth session (March 19, to 23, 2018)
- Thirty-fourth session (June 12 to 16, 2017)
- Thirty-third session (February 27 to March 3, 2017)
- Thirty-second session (November 28 to December 2, 2016)
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)