Madrid e-Filing Now Available to Spanish Brand Owners
March 16, 2021
Spanish trademark holders looking to protect their marks abroad can now apply online through the Madrid e-Filing service.
Starting March 15, 2021, the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (OEPM) will be giving access to the Madrid e-Filing service to trademark applicants via its website. Brand owners will have the possibility to file international applications online.
An integrated key feature includes in-app access to the Madrid Goods & Services Manager that allows users to check the classification of terms in their list of goods and services.
Today, the adoption of Madrid e-Filing by the IP Office of Spain brings the number of users of this WIPO solution to thirteen.
Coming at a time when our digital environment has helped us to deal with one of the most difficult periods in recent times, this e-Filing service makes it possible to complete the whole international registration process online. The international route has now become straightforward and accessible to all Madrid System users.José Antonio Gil Celedonio, OEPM Director, Spain
The extension to Madrid e-Filing allows Spanish brand owners to take advantage of another main feature: the ability to communicate with their Office of origin and immediately receive and respond to irregularities issued by WIPO electronically. This feature is available to all participating Offices and helps to save a significant amount of time in the processing of international registrations.
Other key benefits
- Reduced application irregularities associated with manual data input, as the national IP office’s database prepopulates key information
- Direct access to the Madrid Goods & Services Manager for listing goods and services and checking acceptability of terms across 39 contracting parties of the Madrid Protocol
- A streamlined certification process at the Office of Origin
- Synchronized filing with WIPO
- Live application status displayed in the e-Filing dashboard
- One service covering the whole registration process
How to use the Madrid e-Filing service
- Log on to the website of the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office and select "Electronic application for international registration" ("Solicitud electrónica de registro internacional (Madrid e-Filing)").
- Enter the basic mark/application reference and check the fields prepopulated with data from records from the OEPM.
- Select the designated Contracting Parties and goods and services for protection.
- Update mark, holder, representative and language correspondence details.
- Pay the fees using a Current Account at WIPO or a credit card
- Upon certification by the OEPM and the confirmation of payment, the system sends the application directly to WIPO for registration.
- Respond to irregularity letters when necessary.
- Receive your international registration number.
Find out more
- Visit the website of the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (OEPM)
- Learn more about how your IP Office can implement Madrid e-Filing
- Send us your questions