When a country or intergovernmental organization expresses its intent to join the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (the Madrid Protocol), WIPO will begin discussions with government officials on how to best prepare for accession and what kind of assistance would be necessary.
The first step will consist of an assessment of the existing situation during which WIPO will identify areas of activity that will need to be considered – and possible gaps that would need to be addressed – prior to the deposit of an instrument of accession to the Madrid Protocol.
Preparatory work the potential member will need to undertake, will involve the following six main areas:
- Change leadership;
- Organizational and institutional considerations;
- Procedural and operational considerations;
- IT and automation considerations;
- Community changes.
- Accession kit
- Road map
- Standard model provisions
- Model forms
- Contact us
- Madrid System Legal Forum (authorized users only) and instructions for requesting access