Fees and Payments – PCT System
During the international phase, PCT fees are generally payable:
- to the receiving Offices (ROs); and, where applicable
- to the International Preliminary Examining Authorities (IPEAs) (under Chapter II).
The amounts and currencies of the main PCT fees vary depending on the RO and IPEA chosen as well as on the International Searching Authority (ISA) specified for the search and may be subject to certain reductions, where applicable.
There are basically three types of fees payable to the receiving Office in connection with an international application (other fees apply only in specific circumstances):
- WIPO Pay
- FAQs about fees can be found in the PCT Applicant’s Guide
- Video on Fees payable under the PCT
Fees applicable in the national phase
There is no central fee payment mechanism in place.
Fees that are payable in the national phase to national and regional Offices can be found in the PCT Applicant’s Guide, National Chapters.
Fee payments in the international phase are generally made to the receiving Offices (ROs) and International Preliminary Examining Authorities (IPEAs). The respective amounts and currencies can be found in the PCT Fee Tables:
- PCT Fee Tables 2022
- PCT Fee Tables 2021
- PCT Fee Tables 2020
- Applicability of 90% Reduction in Certain PCT Fees
- 2017 PCT Assembly Understanding
- applicable on or after 1 January 2020
- applicable on or after 1 July 2015
- applicable prior to 1 July 2015
- Applicability of 75% Reduction in Certain PCT Fees at the EPO
- Applicability of 75% Reduction in International Search and Preliminary Examination Fees at the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office
- WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center fee reduction for PCT Users
- Directives for New Equivalent Amounts of Certain PCT Fees
Fees that are payable only in particular circumstances, and details of certain reductions and refunds that may be available, are not included in the PCT Fee Table; they can be found in the PCT Applicant’s Guide, Annexes C, D and E.
Filing-related fees are payable to the receiving Office (RO) with which the international application is filed. The RO then transmits the search fee to the International Searching Authority (ISA) and the international filing fee to the International Bureau (IB). Other fees must be paid only under specific circumstances to the respective International Authorities.
Fees payable to the IB as a receiving Office (RO/IB)
In case of direct filing of PCT applications with RO/IB, fees may be paid to RO/IB in Swiss francs, US dollars or Euros, depending on payment method and fee type. The amounts payable, as well as any applicable reductions, are set out in the PCT Applicant’s Guide (Annex C(IB)).
Fees payable to the IB in particular circumstance only
Special fees payable to the IB (only where applicable)
There are four ways to pay your PCT fees and charges to WIPO:
- Option 1: Current Account at WIPO
- Option 2: credit card (under certain circumstances)
- Option 3: PayPal
- Option 4: bank transfer
- Option 5: postal transfer (within Europe only)
Note: WIPO will send a receipt within 10 days of the receipt of the bank or postal transfer.
All payments are acknowledged by PCT Forms and include the contact details of the authorized officer processing the application. If you do not receive an acknowledgement please contact the authorized officer indicating the PCT application number.
Inquiries regarding payments to the RO/IB and IB
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or authorized officer
- Tel: +41 22 338 92 22 or +41 22 338 91 11 (switchboard)
For further details of which fees may be refunded, refer to the PCT Applicant’s Guide.