Welcoming the Islamic Republic of Iran to the Madrid e-Filing Community
March 15, 2021
The Islamic Republic of Iran becomes the first country in Asia and the Middle East to offer the Madrid e-Filing service to trademark users.
Starting March 15, 2021, the Iranian Intellectual Property Center (IPC) will be giving access to the Madrid e-Filing service to trademark applicants via its website. Brand owners will have the possibility to file international applications online.
During a virtual opening ceremony, Mr. Mohammad Hassan Kiani, President of the IPC, and Mr. David Muls, Madrid Registry Senior Director, WIPO, gave a short speech on the significance of the Madrid e-Filing service in simplifying the international registration process for trademark holders in Iran as well as for Persian speakers around the world.
Conveniently nestled within the e-Filing service, users will have direct access to the Madrid Goods & Services Manager to check the classification of terms in their list of goods and services. What’s more, users will now be able to use the tool in Persian, alongside the other 24 languages in which it is already available.
Today, it became possible for all Iranians, even in the most remote parts of the vast country of Iran and millions of Persian speakers across the world, to access the easy and cost-effective Madrid's e-Filing service. This system is a great step towards fair and equitable access to the world system of intellectual property rights.Dr. Zabihollah KHODAEIYAN, Deputy Head of Judiciary, and Head of the State Organization for Registration of Deeds and Properties
The adoption of Madrid e-Filing by the IPC now brings the number of users of this WIPO solution to twelve, alongside the Benelux, Australia, Georgia, Austria, Lithuania, Estonia, Canada, the Republic of Moldova, Bulgaria, Iceland and Norway.
Iranian brand owners will immediately benefit from the latest feature in Madrid e-Filing: the ability to receive and respond to irregularities issued by WIPO electronically. This feature is available to all participating Offices and helps to save a significant amount of time in the processing of international registrations.
Other key benefits
- Reduced application irregularities associated with manual data input, as the national IP Office’s database prepopulates key information
- Direct access to the Madrid Goods & Services Manager for listing goods and services and eligibility across 39 Contracting Parties of the Madrid Protocol
- A streamlined certification process at the Office of origin
- Synchronized filing with WIPO
- Live application status displayed in the e-Filing dashboard
- One service covering the whole registration process
How to use the Madrid e-Filing service
- Log on to the website of the Iranian Intellectual Property Center and select “Create an application for international registration".
- Enter the basic mark/application reference and check the fields prepopulated with data from records from the IPC.
- Select the designated Contracting Parties and goods and services for protection.
- Update mark, holder, representative and language correspondence details.
- Pay the fees using a Current Account at WIPO,credit card or by bank transfer.
- Upon certification by the IPC and the confirmation of payment, the system sends the application directly to WIPO for registration.
- Respond to irregularity letters when necessary.
- Receive your international registration number.