There are two different types of notification possible:
- Depositing office (paragraph 10 of the Framework Provisions): The Office, which is usually acting as the Office of first filing, allows applications to be made available to the Service;
- Accessing office (paragraph 12 of the Framework Provisions): The Office, acting as an Office of second filing, allows the applicant to request that a priority document be retrieved from the Service instead of having to file a certified copy.
At present, the service is operational for priority documents related to patent, utility model and industrial design applications. Most participating offices act as depositing and accessing offices for patent documents. Several offices also participate as depositing and/or accessing offices for utility model or industrial design documents. The scope of participation of each office is shown in the table below.
- Only offices where a service date is given are currently offering the exchange of documents through the Service.
- A status of "designated" in the table means that a digital library held by the office has been designated in accordance with paragraph 7 of the Framework Provisions, but that as yet no notification has been given by that office as to when the digital library will be available for use through the Service.
- Several other offices are working with the International Bureau to allow use of their digital libraries with the Service but have not yet had their libraries designated.