WIPO Confirms New Senior Management Team
September 26, 2014
WIPO’s Coordination Committee, meeting during the current session of the WIPO Assemblies (Sept. 22 to 30, 2014), expressed consensus support for the slate of executives proposed by Mr. Gurry, who has been reelected for a second six-year term to begin on October 1, 2014. The new team will take up their appointments on December 1, 2014.
Mr. Gurry thanked the outgoing team for their work over his previous term, saying: “There have been many successful outcomes over that period and members of the Senior Management Team have played an indispensable role in achieving those outcomes.”
He said of the incoming executives: “I look forward to working closely with the new Senior Management Team, which is an outstanding team with a wide diversity of talent.”
The new appointees and their roles are as follows:
- Ms. Anne Leer (Norway), Deputy Director General, Culture and Creative Industries Sector.
- Mr. Mario Matus (Chile), Deputy Director General, Development Sector.
- Mr. John Sandage (United States of America), Deputy Director General, Patents and Technology Sector.
- Ms. Wang Binying (China), Deputy Director General, Brands and Designs Sector.
- Mr. Minelik Getahun (Ethiopia), Assistant Director General, Global Issues Sector.
- Mr. Naresh Prasad (India), Assistant Director General, Chief of Staff.
- Mr. Ramanathan Ambi Sundaram (Sri Lanka), Assistant Director General, Administration and Management Sector.
- Mr. Yoshiyuki Takagi (Japan), Assistant Director General, Global Infrastructure Sector.
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is the global forum for intellectual property policy, services, information and cooperation. A specialized agency of the United Nations, WIPO assists its 189 member states in developing a balanced international IP legal framework to meet society's evolving needs. It provides business services for obtaining IP rights in multiple countries and resolving disputes. It delivers capacity-building programs to help developing countries benefit from using IP. And it provides free access to unique knowledge banks of IP information.For further information, please contact the Media Relations Section at WIPO:
- Tel: (+41 22) - 338 81 61 / 338 72 24
- Fax: (+41 22) - 338 81 40