The Arab Bureau is responsible for providing technical assistance to the Arab countries to enable them to modernize their registration operations and to better use IP assets in order to reap benefits from the IP system.
- Director: Dalila Hamou (photo on Flickr)
- Program 9: Africa, Arab, Asia and the Pacific , Latin America and the Caribbean countries, Least Developed Countries (2014/15 Program and Budget )
- Reporting to: DDG Mario Matus (photo on Flickr)
- Sector: Development
What we are trying to achieve
Our work aims to contribute to the following expected results in 2014/15:
- Tailored and balanced IP legislative, regulatory and policy frameworks.
- National innovation and IP strategies and plans consistent with national development objectives.
- Enhanced human resource capacities able to deal with the broad range of requirements for the effective use of IP for development in developing countries, LDCs and countries with economies in transition.
- Strengthened cooperation mechanisms and programs tailored to the needs of developing countries and LDCs.
- Enhanced access to, and use of, IP information by IP institutions and the public to promote innovation and creativity.
- Enhanced technical and knowledge infrastructure for IP offices and other IP institutions, leading to better services (cheaper, faster, higher quality) to their stakeholders.
These in turn contribute to WIPO's Strategic Goal III: "facilitating the use of IP for development".