Date: 31 August 2020
The Mexican Institute of Industrial Property notified the International Bureau in accordance with paragraphs 10 and 12 of the Framework Provisions for the WIPO Digital Access Service (DAS) the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI) would commence operation as both a depositing Office and an accessing Office of WIPO DAS with effect from November 3rd' 2020.
Technical and operational options adopted by IMPI are:
- IMPI as a depositing Office will deposit certified copies of patent, utility model and industrial design applications as priority documents, including PCT applications filed at our Office on and after November 3rd' 2020, which the applicant specifically requests be made available to the service.
- IMPI as an accessing Office will recognize priority documents available to it through the service for the purposes of any application for which the time for furnishing the priority document has not expired by November 3, 2020.
- All documents and information will be exchanged in greyscale or color and in PDF format through the WIPO DAS Office web portal and based on WIPO PCT-EDI; As an Accessing Office, the Office will accept color, greyscale black and white documents in PDF format as deposited by depositing Office, namely The Hague International applications, PCT International applications, national industrial design applications, national patent applications and national utility model applications.
The following practical information may be useful to applicants:
A request to the Office to make an application available through the service may be made by using the intended Request Form, available from the Office’s website or by sending a letter clearly stating the relevant application number and indicating that it should be made available to the WIPO Digital Access Service;
- To request the Office as accessing Office to retrieve the document from the service, the applicant should check the relevant box next to the priority claim on the application form or send a letter to the Office.
- The national and international patent applications hosted in the Office’s digital library use the respective number formats MX / a / YYYY / NNNNNN and PCT / MXYYYY / NNNNNN.
- The national industrial design applications hosted in our digital library use the number format MX/f/YYYY / NNNNNN.
- The national utility model applications hosted in the Office’s digital library use the number format MX / u / YYYY /NNNNNN.
- Within the framework of the PCT, at the time of filing an International application, where the priority document is available from an Office that participates in the WIPO DAS, the applicant may use DAS to provide the priority document to the International Bureau.
- The applicant should mark the applicable check-boxes in RO/IOI (Box No. VI PRIORITY CLAIM AND DOCUMENT), to request the International Bureau to obtain from a digital library a certified copy of the earlier application (s) and indicate the access code for each specific priority document.
Further details on the IMPI's participation in the service will be made available at our office's website https://www.gob.mx/impi.