WIPO Pearl launched, a Free Multilingual Terminology Database
September 19, 2014
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) today launched a new database providing free access to a wealth of multilingual scientific and technical terminology.
Through its web-based interface, WIPO Pearl promotes accurate and consistent use of terms across different languages, and makes it easier to search and share scientific and technical knowledge.
The database initially includes terms found in applications filed via WIPO’s Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and will eventually include collections from other areas of WIPO, such as trademarks, industrial designs, and terminology found in other treaties administered by WIPO.
The 90,000+ terms and 15,000 concepts in 10 languages have all been entered and validated by WIPO-PCT language experts and terminologists, who have experience working with technical documents in multiple languages. Regular additions to the data are planned.
WIPO Pearl offers powerful search features, including the ability to select source and target languages, search by subject field as well as with abbreviations, and “fuzzy,” “exact” and Boolean search functions.
Users can obtain a quick list of results, which can be expanded, while browsing via “concept maps” that show linkages among related concepts by language and subject field - for example, showing concepts that are broader or narrower in scope than other concepts.
- Ten languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- Classification of concepts by 29 subject fields
- Fully validated content with reliability scores
- “Concept maps” that give an innovative graphical display of related concepts by language and subject field
- Context provided for all terms
- Term labelling (e.g. “recommended”, “standardized” or “avoid”)
- Integrated with PATENTSCOPE and CLIR (Cross-Lingual Information Retrieval)
- Users can rate the quality of results
WIPO Pearl can be accessed from the Reference page, along with WIPO’s PATENTSCOPE technology database - which now contains nearly 40 million patent records – and WIPO’s other searchable data collections.
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is the global forum for intellectual property policy, services, information and cooperation. A specialized agency of the United Nations, WIPO assists its 188 member states in developing a balanced international IP legal framework to meet society's evolving needs. It provides business services for obtaining IP rights in multiple countries and resolving disputes. It delivers capacity-building programs to help developing countries benefit from using IP. And it provides free access to unique knowledge banks of IP information.For further information, please contact the Media Relations Section at WIPO:
- Tel: (+41 22) - 338 81 61 / 338 72 24
- Fax: (+41 22) - 338 81 40