The General Assembly decides:
1. To adopt the following CDIP coordination mechanism principles:
(a) The aim of the Development Agenda is to ensure that development considerations form an integral part of WIPO’s work and the coordination mechanism should promote this aim;
(b) CDIP, in accordance with its mandate, has the responsibility to monitor, assess, discuss and report on the implementation of all recommendations adopted;
(c) All WIPO Committees stand on an equal footing and report to the Assemblies;
(d) To avoid duplication of WIPO’s governance arrangements the coordination mechanism should be consistent with, and where practical, use existing governance structures and procedures;
(e) The coordination of the CDIP with other relevant WIPO bodies should be flexible, efficient, effective, transparent and pragmatic. It should facilitate the work of the CDIP and the respective WIPO bodies;
(f) The coordination should be within existing budgetary resources of WIPO.
2. To establish a CDIP standing agenda item dealing with item (b)* of the CDIP mandate. The agenda item:
(a) should be the first substantive item on its agenda; and
(b) shall be allocated sufficient time to complete its deliberations within the meeting schedule.
3. To extend, on an exceptional basis, if a clear need is identified, the duration of CDIP sessions, subject to the agreement of all Member States. In addition, during discussion of future work the Committee may consider the duration of the next CDIP meeting.
4. To instruct the relevant WIPO bodies to include in their annual report to the Assemblies, a description of their contribution to the implementation of the respective Development Agenda Recommendations. The General Assembly shall forward the reports to the CDIP for discussion under the first substantive item of its Agenda. The General Assembly may request the Chairs of the relevant WIPO bodies to provide it with any information or clarification on the report that may be required.
5. To instruct the CDIP to include a review of the implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations in its report to the General Assembly, to be discussed in the General Assembly under the standing item of the Report of the CDIP, as a sub-item entitled Review of the implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations.
6. To instruct the relevant WIPO bodies to identify the ways in which the Development Agenda Recommendations are being mainstreamed in their work, and urge them to implement the Recommendations accordingly.
7. To urge the Director General to facilitate the coordination, assessment, and reporting of all the activities and programs undertaken by the Secretariat with respect to the Development Agenda, and to provide regular updates, through written submissions or oral briefings, on the progress of the implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations to the CDIP, the General Assembly and relevant WIPO bodies. In particular, updates should focus on the work undertaken by other relevant WIPO bodies concerning implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations.
8. To request the CDIP to undertake an independent review of the implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations at the end of the 2012-2013 biennium. Upon consideration of that review, the CDIP may decide on a possible further review. The Terms of Reference and the selection of independent IP and development experts will be agreed by the CDIP.
9. To strengthen existing mechanisms within WIPO, such as the Internal Oversight Function, modalities for implementation of WIPO’s Evaluation Policy and the Program Performance Reports, in order to effectively support the review and evaluation of the implementation of the Development Agenda Recommendations.
10. To include in the WIPO Annual Report to the UN, a report on the implementation of the Development Agenda, pursuant to the Agreement between the UN and WIPO.
*monitor, assess, discuss and report on the implementation of all recommendations adopted, and for that purpose it shall coordinate with relevant WIPO bodies.
DISCLAIMER: This document was adopted without paragraph numbers. The numbering was added by the Secretariat for ease of reference.