There are two different types of notification possible:
- Depositing Office (paragraph 10 of the Framework Provisions): The Office, which is usually acting as the Office of first filing, allows applications to be made available to the Service;
- Accessing Office (paragraph 12 of the Framework Provisions): The Office, acting as an Office of second filing, allows the applicant to request that a priority document be retrieved from the Service instead of having to file a certified copy.
At present, the service is operational for patent documents only. One office is ready to deposit and retrieve patent and utility model documents. Documents relating to other IP rights, such as industrial Designs and trademarks will be exchanged through the system once the participating offices have made the necessary operational and technical changes.
The main effects of the notifications, as well as information on digital libraries which have been designated, are summarized in the table below. For more information, refer to the complete notifications.
- Only offices where a service date is given are currently offering the exchange of documents through the Service.
- A status of "designated" in the table means that a digital library held by the office has been designated in accordance with paragraph 7 of the Framework Provisions, but that as yet no notification has been given by that office as to when the digital library will be available for use through the Service.
- Several other offices are working with the International Bureau to allow use of their digital libraries with the Service but have not yet had their libraries designated.