Madrid (Marks) Notification No. 9
Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks
Entry into force of the Stockholm Act
The Director of the United International Bureaux for the Protection of Intellectual Property (BIRPI) presents his compliments to the Minister for Foreign Affairs and has the honor to recall that instruments of ratification or accession, relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks of April 14, 1891, as revised at Stockholm on July 14, 1967, were deposited:
- on June 20, 1968, by the German Democratic Republic,
- on February 28, 1969, by the Socialist Republic of Rumania,
- on December 18, 1969, by the Hungarian People's Republic,
- on January 26, 1970, by the Swiss Confederation,
- on June 19, 1970, by the Federal Republic of Germany.
The Director of BIRPI has the honor to recall also that the notification of the deposit of the first of these instruments gave rise to communications from some Governments disputing its validity, which have been transmitted to the States party to the Madrid Agreement.
In accordance with Article 17(5) of the Stockholm Act of the said Agreement, the Director of BIRPI has the honor to notify him that, in accordance with Article 14(4)(a), the said Act will enter into force three months after the deposit of the fifth instrument of ratification or accession, that is:
- either on September 19, 1970 (three months after the date of deposit by the Federal Republic of Germany),
- or at some later date (three months after the date of deposit of the next instrument),
depending on whether the validity of the first of the above-mentioned instruments is accepted or not.
July 9, 1970