Berne Notification No. 14
Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
Entry into force of Articles 22 to 38 of the Stockholm Act
The Director of the United International Bureaux for the Protection of Intellectual Property (BIRPI) presents his compliments to the Minister for Foreign Affairs and has the honor to remind him that instruments of ratification or accession, relating to Articles 22 to 38 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of September 9, 1886, as revised at Stockholm on July 14, 1967, were deposited:
- on June 20, 1968, by the German Democratic Republic,
- on September 19, 1968, by the Republic of Senegal,
- on February 26, 1969, by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,
- on June 6, 1969, by Spain,
- on July 30, 1969, by the State of Israel,
- on August 12, 1969, by the Kingdom of Sweden,
- on October 29, 1969, by the Socialist Republic of Rumania,
- on November 26, 1969, by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
The Director of BIRPI has the honor to remind him further that the notification of the deposit of the first of these instruments has given rise to communications from some Governments disputing its validity, and which have been transmitted to the States party to the Berne Convention.
In accordance with Article 37(5) of the Stockholm Act of the above Convention, the Director of BIRPI has the honor to notify him that, pursuant to the provisions of Article 28(2)(b) and Article 28(3) of the said Act, Articles 22 to 38 will enter into force three months after the deposit of the seventh instrument of ratification or accession, that is:
- either on January 29, 1970 (three months after the date of deposit by the Socialist Republic of Rumania),
- or on February 26, 1970 (three months after the date of deposit by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan)
depending on whether the validity of the first of the above-mentioned instruments is accepted or not.
November 28, 1969