||1. The Division for Least Developed Countries during the past years (2015, 2016 and 2017) organized three partnership programs, in cooperation with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP) on capacity building with particular focus on science, technology and innovation for the benefit of the LDCs of the region.
2. The approved 2019 work plan of the Division includes this activity. Accordingly as per the discussion with the Director of the Division for Least Developed Countries, for this year, it is proposed to organize a follow-up meeting of the partnership program, which was organized in Bangkok from November 6 to 8, 2017 in cooperation with the UN ESCAP Secretariat.
3. This year’s meeting has been scheduled from July 16 to 18, 2019 and UN ESCAP Secretariat as agreed to these dates.
4. The proposed meetings will continue to focus on building technical and institutional expertise in the areas of innovation and technology for the benefit of the LDCs of Asia belonging to the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and the Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
5. The representatives of relevant government ministries, IP Offices, universities and research institutions who participated in the regional meeting of 2017 and other meetings organized by the Division will be invited to participate in the proposed meetings.
6. The cost estimate of the proposed activities is attached and will be financed from the Budget of the Division for LDCs (0035-12024).