|In the course of implementing strategies aimed at building human and institutional capacity of Member States, the Regional Bureau for Africa recognizes study visits to model Intellectual Property (IP) offices as a crucial program activity which contributes to capacity building with a view to facilitating the use of the international IP system to achieve national development goals. In the context of the elaboration of National Intellectual Property Development Plans, experts involved in the projects have also recommended study visits to offices with similar business models as a means of reinforcing the capacity of IP office heads and their staff in carrying out their respective mandates.
In the course of the past biennium, the Bureau has received a number of requests from heads of national IP offices within the region who are managing autonomous national offices, for assistance in facilitating exposure on effective IP administration practices for autonomous offices, especially in the context of the WIPO registration systems. In this context, and in consultation with the Moroccan Office of Industrial and Commercial Property (OMPIC), it is proposed that a four day working visit be organized for new heads of national IP offices/registries from September 6 to 8, 2016.
The overall objective of the visit is to enhance participants’ capacity in IP office administration by:
- Providing participants with relevant information on prevailing issues and challenges in the area of IP administration;
- Exposing participants to different aspects of the administration and management of an autonomous IP office;
- Familiarizing them with effective IPR administration strategies for autonomous IP offices;
- Providing exposure on effective working methods and procedures for IPR registration under the WIPO office business solutions;
- Exposing participants to other best practices; and
- Providing an opportunity for exchange of information and experiences.