||Within the margins of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) General Assemblies of October 2015, the Africa Bureau had a meeting with the delegation of Sierra Leone headed by Mrs. Mariam Seray Kallay, Administrator and Registrar General, Administrator and Registrar General Department (ARGD). During the meeting, she kindly requested the organization of a study visit for two of her staff in a country which has experience in the creation and management of a parastatal body in the administration of intellectual property services.
Indeed, organization of study visits in advance Intellectual Property (IP) offices are considered as a means of reinforcing the capacity of IP office heads and their staff in carrying out their respective mandates.
In this context, the Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property of Botswana have been identified as a potential host country for the training of Senior Registrar Officers of the ARGD of Sierra Leone.
The study visit will entail the following objectives:
- To expose participants to the various aspects related to the administration and management of an autonomous intellectual property (IP) office, including effective intellectual property rights (IPR) administration strategies, working methods and procedures for IPR registration under the various WIPO systems and office business solutions as well as other best practices; and,
- To provide participants an opportunity to benefit from Botswana‘s experience in the establishment of a parastatal body.
The expected results of the Study Visit are the following:
- To become more knowledgeable about the role and administration of a Parastatal body;
- To become more knowledgeable about the registration procedures of IP assets in the context of the WIPO registration systems; and,
- To become better equipped to use the IP system as a tool for development for the benefit of the IP users’ community (universities, research and development (R&D) institu