This user guide has been prepared using Internet Explorer 11.0. The screenshots and other details may differ if you use another version of the browser.
The standard validity of digital certificates issued by the WIPO Customer Certification Authority is two years. You will receive an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org prompting you to renew it three weeks before expiry and then a reminder one week before the deadline:
1. Before starting the renewal procedure, please make sure that your certificate is installed and visible in your browser. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and select Internet options.
2. Open the Content tab and click the Certificates button.
3. Your certificate must be visible under the “Personal” tab to be able to renew it.
4. If this is not the case, you can use another browser in which your certificate is installed, or import a copy of your expiring certificate to Internet Explorer (e.g. from a location on your PC, network or portable device; see our user guide “How to import your certificate”). If, for any reason, this certificate is not available, wait until it has expired, and enroll for a new one if you need a WIPO certificate.
5. Once your certificate is visible in the browser, copy/paste the url from the renewal e-mail or navigate to the certificates management page. Click "Renew".
6. Next, you will be prompted to provide the Renewal PIN indicated in the renewal mail, and the Challenge Phrase that you created at your first enrollment for the certificate. If you do not remember your challenge phrase, wait until the certificate expires and then enroll for a new one, if you need a WIPO digital certificate.
7. Click “Submit”.
8. On the Web Access Confirmation screen click "Yes".
9. Click OK to create the new RSA exchange key (we recommend to leave the Security level to Medium).
10. The successful renewal will be confirmed by 'Congratulations' message pop-up.
It is strongly recommended to create a backup copy of the digital certificate and to keep it in a safe location; please also keep its password safe. You will find detailed instructions in our user guide "How to retrieve and save a copy of your certificate".