Madrid System: New Service in eMadrid – Cancel an International Trademark Registration
February 28, 2023
You can now request total or partial – i.e., remove some or all of the goods and services, in all designated Madrid System members – cancellation of an international trademark registration through eMadrid, following an intuitive process. This service is free-of-charge.
Warning! Cancellation (partial or total) is permanent.
- Total cancellation = we remove your international registration from the International Register (your international registration is no longer in force). To restore protection you will need to file a new application.
- Partial cancellation = the cancelled goods and services are no longer protected in any of the designated members. You will not be able to renew that protection later on using ‘Extend protection of your registration’.
How does it work?
- Go to eMadrid and select “Cancel an International Registration”;
- Log in with your WIPO Account
- Indicate whether you are the holder or representative and select ‘total’ or ‘partial’ cancellation;
- Enter your six/seven-digit international registration number;
- If you selected ‘Partial cancellation’, the system will ask you which classes you would like to remove – partially or entirely. If you selected ‘Total cancellation’, the system will directly display a summary of your request;
- Check the summary of your request;
- Sign electronically and submit your request.
What happens next?
Important! If the WIPO Account email address you use to access ‘Cancel an International Registration’ does not match the one we have on record for your international registration, we will send an authorization request to the on-record email address of the representative, if any. Otherwise, we will send the authorization request to the on-record email address of the holder.
If we do not receive authorization within fourteen days, we will cancel the request.
We will send you an email confirmation with a WIPO reference number. You can use that number to track the status of your request through “Monitor Your Registration” under eMadrid.
Madrid System forms
This new online service replaces downloadable Madrid System Form MM8.
Benefits of using eMadrid
- Reduced irregularities;
- faster processing of requests;
- automatic confirmations;
- real-time status updates; and
- central and secure access to all your transactions.
Important! We strongly recommend that you use eMadrid to file your international trademark applications and manage your international registrations wherever possible.
Find out more
Questions or queries?