Welcoming Iceland to the Madrid e-Filing Community
October 23, 2020
Since October 7, 2020, the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office has given access to Madrid e-Filing service to trademark applicants via its website. Brand owners will have the possibility to file international applications online. Conveniently nestled within the e-Filing service, users will have direct access to Madrid Goods & Services Manager to check the classification of terms in their list of goods and services.
The number of IP Offices using this WIPO solution has rapidly risen from three in 2018 to ten today: the Benelux, Australia, Georgia, Austria, Lithuania, Estonia, Canada, the Republic of Moldova, Bulgaria, and now Iceland.
A few months only after the launch of the Madrid Application Assistant, the Icelandic IP Office chooses to digitalize the service it offers to Madrid users by adopting Madrid e-Filing.
The extension to Madrid e-Filing allows Icelandic brand owners to take advantage of its latest feature: the ability to communicate with their Office of origin and immediately receive and respond to irregularities issued by WIPO electronically. This feature is available to all participating Offices and helps to save a significant amount of time in the processing of international registrations.
Other key benefits
- Reduced application irregularities associated with manual data input, as the national IP office’s database prepopulates key information
- Direct access to Madrid Goods & Services Manager for listing goods and services and eligibility across 37 contracting parties of the Madrid Protocol
- A streamlined certification process at the Office of Origin
- Synchronized filing with WIPO
- Live application status displayed in the e-Filing dashboard
- One service covering the whole registration process
How to use the Madrid e-Filing service
- Log on at the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office and select “Create an application for international registration".
- Enter the basic mark/application reference and check the fields prepopulated with data from the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office records.
- Select the designated Contracting Parties and goods and services for protection.
- Update mark, holder, representative and language correspondence details.
- Pay the fees using a Current Account at WIPO, credit card or choose the new option to pay via the National Office.
- Upon certification by the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office and the confirmation of payment, the system sends the application directly to WIPO for registration.
- Respond to irregularity letters when necessary.
- Receive your international registration number.