IP Outreach Research > IP Crime

Reference

Title: Les Français, la contrefaçon et le piratage
Author: [Ifop]
Source:

Union des Fabricants
http://www.unifab.com/doc/2006/ifop_2006.ppt

Year: 2005

Details

Subject/Type: Counterfeiting, Piracy
Focus: Aircraft and Auto Parts, Apparel and Shoes, Beverages, Brands (non-deceptive counterfeits), Consumer Electronics / Electronic Equipment, Fashion Accessories, Film, Food Products, Furniture, Medicines and Medical Devices, Music, Personal Care Products, Software, Tobacco Products, Toys, Video Games, Watches
Country/Territory: France
Objective: To understand consumer perceptions, attitudes and behaviour towards counterfeit and pirated products.
Sample: 1.001 adults representative of the French population
Methodology: Face-to-face interviews in respondents' homes

Main Findings

The most desired fake goods are clothes, with 18% having bought them and a further 13% willing to buy fake fashion if given the chance. 65% claim that they have never bought counterfeits, while 22% have bought 1-3 fake products. 67% bought fakes due to lower price, 19% due to perception of well-executed copying and 18% to have a "brand" product that they could not otherwise afford.

49% do not buy fakes because of their illegality and fear of being fined, and 43% do not do so due to perceived lower quality. Around 90% approve of sanctions for those selling, distributing and producing fakes, but only 49% approve of sanctions for those who purchase fakes. The awareness of legal sanctions is high, and social, economic and health risks are associated with fakes.

However, 67% viewed counterfeits as a way of bringing to the masses products usually reserved for an elite, 55% thought they served as publicity for brands and 50% felt that they were a form of competition forcing brands to innovate. Illegal downloading was perceived as serious if done for reselling (80%), but as less serious if done for friends and family (45%) or personal use (32%).

[Date Added: Aug 12, 2008 ]