Social media engagement has become an essential tool supporting the promotion and celebration of World IP Day activities worldwide – some of which occur exclusively on social media as virtual events.
Social media tools to support campaigns are most effective when the networks used and the content posted align with topics that resonate with targeted local audiences.
The guidelines and resources below can help stakeholders conduct successful social media outreach and tap into the integrated global communication effort around World IP Day.
Use of #WorldIPDay as the official hashtag for all content relating to World IP Day 2021 is encouraged on all social media networks. Use the official hashtag in conjunction with other topic-based hashtags or hashtags relevant to target audiences.
Social media kit
WIPO set up a Trello board with social media assets to help you create your World IP Day social media content.
The board will be updated regularly with new assets in the run-up to April 26, 2021.
Sample timeline for a World IP Day social media outreach
Announce your plans/issue a “save the date” for your virtual World IP Day activities.
Start publishing content relating to the theme of the 2021 World IP Day campaign – IP and SMEs: Taking your ideas to market, including details of any virtual World IP Day activities you plan, to build interest in the campaign and set the scene for April.
In the week(s) before World IP Day on April 26, publish related content with increased frequency and remind your audience(s) of what is planned for (the week of) April 26. On or around World IP Day, consider exclusively publishing content related to the Day, and/or cover your activities live or nearly real-time.
“IP & SMEs: Taking your ideas to market” is the theme of World Intellectual Property Day 2021: https://www.wipo.int/ipday.
This year, we explore how SMEs can use intellectual property rights to build stronger, more competitive and resilient businesses.
IP & SMEs: Taking your ideas to market
World Intellectual Property Day 2021 celebrates the ingenuity and creativity behind every SME, their courage to make a difference, and their contributions to enhancing our lives.
Find out more at https://www.wipo.int/ipday
Every business starts with an idea
World Intellectual Property Day 2021 shines a light on the critical role of SMEs in the economy and how they can use IP rights to build stronger, more competitive and resilient businesses: https://www.wipo.int/ipday
Small and medium businesses:
✅ Make up 90% of the world’s businesses
✅ Employ around 50% of the global workforce
World Intellectual Property Day 2021 highlights how each of them can use IP rights to safeguard their assets and bring them to market: https://www.wipo.int/ipday
World IP Day FAQs
World IP Day on WIPO social media channels
In the lead-up to April 26, WIPO will use its corporate social media channels for the publication of World IP Day-related content for everyone to share:
- SMEs are the backbone of the global economy. They account for around 90 percent of all businesses worldwide and are essential contributors to job creation and economic development.
- When economic recovery from the fallout of COVID-19 is a priority, World IP Day 2021 shines a light on how SMEs can use their IP assets to build stronger, more competitive, and resilient businesses and create jobs.
- IP is a powerful tool for SMEs in all parts of the world to create economic value and advance their business goals.
- With IP rights, an idea can be turned into a business opportunity that generates value, creates employment, and enriches the market offering consumers a broader choice of new and better products and services.
- With IP, businesses create value and can do better, communities can thrive, and national economies can prosper.
- This year’s World IP Day campaign maps key IP-related issues that come into play when taking ideas to the market. We explore the practical IP issues and challenges that will arise on that journey and how to manage them. We take a closer look at identifying, protecting, and leveraging IP assets for business growth, the business opportunities that can flow from IP licensing, and the range of options available to finance innovation.
- World IP Day 2021 also highlights the central role that WIPO and national and regional IP offices worldwide play in creating a favorable landscape for SMEs to drive innovation and creativity, power economic recovery, and create employment.