Jamaica Joins the Hague System
December 8, 2021
Jamaica is the latest country to join the Hague System bringing the total number of countries covered to 93.
The Government of Jamaica deposited its instrument of accession to the 1999 Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement on November 10, 2021. Jamaica is the 67th contracting party to the 1999 Act and 76th member of the Hague Union.
What does this mean for designers worldwide?
From February 10, 2022, companies and designers in Jamaica will be able to seek international protection of their designs, in as many of the 93 countries covered by the Hague System as desired, facilitating their expansion into international markets.
In parallel, non-residents seeking design protection in Jamaica will be able to designate the Hague System’s newest member in their international applications contributing to stimulation of the Jamaican economy.
Specific declarations made by Jamaica
|Designation fee||Level three of the standard designation fees will apply.||Rule 12(1)(c)(i)|
|Deferment of publication||The maximum period of deferment that applicants may request for publication of their international designs in Jamaica is 12 months.||Article 11(1)(a)|
|Refusal period||The period for refusal of grant of protection of a design in Jamaica will be 12 months.
|Date of effect of the international registration
||International registrations will take effect in Jamaica according to domestic law (safeguard).
|Duration of protection||The maximum duration of protection in Jamaica will be 15 years.
|Recording of change in ownership||The recording of a change in ownership will only take effect in Jamaica once their IP office receives required documentation.
Find out more
- Hague System – Filing Applications & Renewing Registrations | Managing International Registrations
- Hague System legal texts: Common Regulations | Administrative Instructions
- eHague – your digital gateway to international design protection
- Hague System Member Profiles – learn about the laws, practices and procedures of Hague System members
- International Designs Bulletin – your authoritative reference of all international registrations