About Intellectual Property IP Training IP Outreach IP for… IP and... IP in... Patent & Technology Information Trademark Information Industrial Design Information Geographical Indication Information Plant Variety Information (UPOV) IP Laws, Treaties & Judgements IP Resources IP Reports Patent Protection Trademark Protection Industrial Design Protection Geographical Indication Protection Plant Variety Protection (UPOV) IP Dispute Resolution IP Office Business Solutions Paying for IP Services Negotiation & Decision-Making Development Cooperation Innovation Support Public-Private Partnerships The Organization Working with WIPO Accountability Patents Trademarks Industrial Designs Geographical Indications Copyright Trade Secrets WIPO Academy Workshops & Seminars World IP Day WIPO Magazine Raising Awareness Case Studies & Success Stories IP News WIPO Awards Business Universities Indigenous Peoples Judiciaries Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions Economics Gender Equality Global Health Climate Change Competition Policy Sustainable Development Goals Enforcement Frontier Technologies Mobile Applications Sports Tourism PATENTSCOPE Patent Analytics International Patent Classification ARDI – Research for Innovation ASPI – Specialized Patent Information Global Brand Database Madrid Monitor Article 6ter Express Database Nice Classification Vienna Classification Global Design Database International Designs Bulletin Hague Express Database Locarno Classification Lisbon Express Database Global Brand Database for GIs PLUTO Plant Variety Database GENIE Database WIPO-Administered Treaties WIPO Lex - IP Laws, Treaties & Judgments WIPO Standards IP Statistics WIPO Pearl (Terminology) WIPO Publications Country IP Profiles WIPO Knowledge Center WIPO Technology Trends Global Innovation Index World Intellectual Property Report PCT – The International Patent System ePCT Budapest – The International Microorganism Deposit System Madrid – The International Trademark System eMadrid Article 6ter (armorial bearings, flags, state emblems) Hague – The International Design System eHague Lisbon – The International System of Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications eLisbon UPOV PRISMA Mediation Arbitration Expert Determination Domain Name Disputes Centralized Access to Search and Examination (CASE) Digital Access Service (DAS) WIPO Pay Current Account at WIPO WIPO Assemblies Standing Committees Calendar of Meetings WIPO Official Documents Development Agenda Technical Assistance IP Training Institutions COVID-19 Support National IP Strategies Policy & Legislative Advice Cooperation Hub Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISC) Technology Transfer Inventor Assistance Program WIPO GREEN WIPO's Pat-INFORMED Accessible Books Consortium WIPO for Creators WIPO ALERT Member States Observers Director General Activities by Unit External Offices Job Vacancies Procurement Results & Budget Financial Reporting Oversight

[process2-comments] RFC-1

To: process.mail@wipo.int
Subject: [process2-comments] RFC-1
From: kd@inow.com
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:08:54 +0200

 Name: Josh Tribes Organization: self Perhaps the oddest thing to strike me is the fact that, years ago, the suffixes .com, .net and .org were set aside for a number of purposes, the head reason being to distinguish each other, thus to eliminate the problem that we appear to be facing today. In short, .com holders are organisations such as businesses, financial groups, and so on.. ; .net holders are long similar lines of .com holders, except they tend to encompass organizations WITH large networks (i could be wrong on that one, my history on the .net side is a bit shakey, perhaps someone else who is more fluent and remembers all of this better than I can could possibly fill in the blank); while .org owners are strictly non-profit organizations, individuals (such as much), and the like. What this all basically boils down to is a simple algorithm: if you make money off your site or solicit to make money or a service or whathaveyou, then you're a .com holder. If you're a large network or part of a network, you b! elong in the .net group, and finally, .org users are non-for-profit organisations who are not bent on world conquest. Unfortunately, it appears that these ideals are not holding too well, and commercialization on a mass system (yet again) is taking place. All of a sudden, people who just shelled out a one or two week paycheck for that domain they've wanted for so long get it taken from them with NO refund and no alternative other than to give up the domain, and purchase another. Granted, this is not what happens to everybody, but is a clear-cut example of what has happened to many, and will happen to many more. It is a sad state of affairs when commercialization impounds on a process that it has so little knowledge of, technically speaking. These days, it seems that anyone that can type on a keyboard and operate a mouse (and those that don't even personally OWN a computer) are trying to get a piece of the pie when they don't even know all the ingrediants. It's a poison! , in a way, in that it effects each and every person who come! s in contact with it, in one way or another, whether they like it or not. Some will fall, some will not fall. In the long run, no one wins and everyone loses. Overall, we will all be victims of a limited miniverse created by humans, FOR humans, run by humans, for the express purpose of propogating information. When things like this go into effect, suddenly not everyone gets their piece of the pie, others take parts of others pies. Why? Simple reasons: greed. delusions of grandeur. I could list more, but... too long a list. Anyone and everyone can and WILL deny such ambitions. It's so easy to do. So then who is honest and who is dishonest? We will never know because we lack the mental affinity to seek for a global goodness. No, instead people are selfish, and this is what the whole thing boils down to: selfishness. Rules were set out years ago to avoid such disputes. Now all of these people that have truely no idea how the internet even RUNS wish to say who get! s what name? As usual, the words of freedom are crushed again under the foot of money-loving bigots. Oh well, nothing we can do about it, right? Well then why DID i just type all of this out when asked to? Again, little intelligence can denote a greater intelligence behind the whole grand scheme of everything. We know you exist. We may not know exactly who you are, but we know you exist. And that, is the one secret you didn't want us to know. Too bad.