Record Participation by Women in WIPO Academy Courses
March 6, 2017
In 2016 a record breaking 24,880* women took WIPO Academy distance learning courses. On the occasion of International Women's Day 2017, the Academy is, for the first time, publishing a selection of gender-related statistics. In the coming years we will continue to monitor and develop our gender-related performance indicators.
At a glance
- In national intellectual property (IP) offices, participation in distance learning courses is 55% female to 45% male.
- The under 21 age group sees the highest proportion of female participants at 54% female to 46% male.
- The type of IP courses with the highest proportion of female participants (52% female to 48% male) is in the field "copyright and related rights".
- 43% of women taking WIPO Academy courses list their profession as "academia".
- Participation in WIPO Academy distance learning courses in 2016 stands at 51% female, 49% male.
*All data is provisional. We will be releasing a final compendium of gender-related data later in 2017.