Artificial Intelligence in Intellectual Property Administration
Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications are being increasingly deployed in the administration of applications for intellectual property (IP) protection. WIPO Translate and WIPO Brand Image Search, which use AI-based applications for automated translation and image recognition, are two examples of such AI applications.
- Automatic classification of patents and goods/services for trademark applications
- Search of patent prior art and figurative elements of trademarks
- Examination and formalities checks for trademarks and patents
- Helpdesk services (automatic replies to client)
- Machine translation, linguistic tools and terminology
Several IP Offices around the world have developed and deployed other AI applications. In May 2018, WIPO convened a meeting to discuss these AI applications and to foster the exchange of information and the sharing of such applications. The Organization will continue to use its convening power and position as the international organization responsible for IP policy to continue this dialogue and exchange.
Video: WIPO's Director General on artificial intelligence and IP