Recent developments in the WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC):
- IGC 25 took place from July 15 to 24, 2013, and addressed the theme of traditional cultural expressions. It was the final session of the IGC under the 2012-2013 mandate and work program for 2013 - Decisions adopted by IGC 25.
- Pursuant to the 2013 IGC work program, IGC 25 undertook a 3-day review and stock taking of the text(s) of the international legal instrument(s) ensuring the effective protection of TCEs, TK and GRs, and decided to transmit to the WIPO General Assembly the “Report of the Proposals Made by Delegations Regarding Future Work of the IGC, Following the Review and Stocktaking Conducted under Agenda Item 7, as at the Close of the Session on July 24, 2013
WIPO Assemblies 2013
- The WIPO General Assembly, in October 2013, agreed on a renewed mandate for the IGC in the 2014-2015 biennium, as well as a schedule of sessions and work program for 2014.
- Pursuant to its renewed mandate and work program for 2014, the Twenty-Sixth, Twenty-Seventh and Twenty-Eighth sessions of the IGC, are expected to be held in February, April and July, 2014, respectively.
- The 2014 General Assembly will, with a view to finalizing the text(s) within the biennium, take stock of and consider the text(s), progress made and decide on convening a Diplomatic Conference.