The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the upcoming session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
The working documents for the 35th session of the IGC are:
- Draft agenda
- Consolidated Document Relating to Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Databases Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Report on the Compilation of Materials on Disclosure Regimes Relating to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on the Use of Databases for the Defensive Protection of Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge Associated with Genetic Resources
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for the Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Measures Related to the Avoidance of the Erroneous Grant of Patents and Compliance with Existing Access and Benefit-Sharing Systemss
- The summary of documents provides a short explanation of the session’s documents
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2018/2019
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Background brief No. 10: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources
- Key Questions on Patent Disclosure Requirements for Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides member state representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 35 took place at WIPO Headquarters on March 8, 2018.
Video: Informal information session (March 8, 2018)
Preparation kits of previous IGC sessions
- Thirty-fourth session (June 12 to 16, 2017)
- Thirty-third session (February 27 to March 3, 2017)
- Thirty-second session (November 28 to December 2, 2016)
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)