The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the next session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
A Seminar on Intellectual Property and Traditional Cultural Expressions will be organized on June 8 and 9, 2017, prior to IGC 34.
The working documents for the 34th session of the IGC are:
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2016/2017
- Booklet: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions – An Overview
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 4: Intellectual Property and Arts Festivals
- Background brief No. 5: Intellectual Property and Traditional Handicrafts
- Background brief No. 6: Intellectual Property and Traditional Medical Knowledge
- Background brief No. 7: Customary Law and Traditional Knowledge
- Background brief No. 8: Alternative Dispute Resolution for Disputes Related to Intellectual Property and Traditional Knowledge, Traditional Cultural Expressions and Genetic Resources
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Background brief No. 10: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides Member States' representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 34 will take place at WIPO Headquarters (Room NB 0.107) on June 1, at 10:00 a.m.
Preparation kits of previous IGC sessions
- Thirty-third session (February 27 to March 3, 2017)
- Thirty-second session (November 28 to December 2, 2016)
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)