The WIPO Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore (IGC) meets several times a year in Geneva.
This page provides the most relevant documents and materials to help participants prepare for the next session – including for consultations with indigenous peoples, local communities and other stakeholders.
A Seminar on Intellectual Property and Traditional Cultural Expressions will be organized on June 8 and 9, 2017, prior to IGC 34.
The working documents for the 34th session of the IGC are:
- Draft Agenda
- Consolidated Document Relating to Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources
- The Protection of Traditional Knowledge: Draft Articles
- The Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions: Draft Articles
- Indicative List of Outstanding/Pending Issues to be Tackled/Solved
- Joint Recommendation on Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge
- Joint Recommendation on the Use of Databases for the Defensive Protection of Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge Associated with Genetic Resources
- Proposal for the Terms of Reference for the Study by the WIPO Secretariat on Measures Related to the Avoidance of the Erroneous Grant of Patents and Compliance with Existing Access and Benefit-Sharing Systems
- Traditional Cultural Expressions: A Discussion Paper
- Identifying Examples of Traditional Knowledge to Stimulate a Discussion of What Should be Protectable Subject Matter and What is Not Intended to be Protected
The summary of documents provides a short explanation of the session’s documents.
The Chair has prepared an Information Note on Traditional Cultural Expressions and an Information Note on Discussions under Agenda Item 8 “Taking Stock of Progress and Making a Recommendation to the General Assembly”, for IGC 34.
Key background materials
- IGC Mandate 2016/2017
- Booklet: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions – An Overview
- Background brief No. 1: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Background brief No. 2: The WIPO IGC
- Background brief No. 3: Developing a National Strategy on IP and TK, TCEs and GRs
- Background brief No. 4: Intellectual Property and Arts Festivals
- Background brief No. 5: Intellectual Property and Traditional Handicrafts
- Background brief No. 6: Intellectual Property and Traditional Medical Knowledge
- Background brief No. 7: Customary Law and Traditional Knowledge
- Background brief No. 8: Alternative Dispute Resolution for Disputes Related to Intellectual Property and Traditional Knowledge, Traditional Cultural Expressions and Genetic Resources
- Background brief No. 9: Documentation of Traditional Knowledge and Traditional Cultural Expressions
- Background brief No. 10: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources
At preparatory informal information sessions, the WIPO secretariat provides Member States' representatives in Geneva with information on the key issues under discussion at each upcoming IGC session, as well as on practical arrangements.
The informal information session for IGC 34 took place at WIPO Headquarters (Room NB 0.107) on June 1, 2017, at 10:00 a.m.
VIDEO: June 1, 2017 informal information session.
Preparation kits of previous IGC sessions
- Thirty-third session (February 27 to March 3, 2017)
- Thirty-second session (November 28 to December 2, 2016)
- Thirty-first session (September 19 to 23, 2016)
- Thirtieth session (May 30 to June 3, 2016)
- Twenty-ninth session (February 15 to 19, 2016)
- Twenty-eighth session (July 7 to July 9, 2014)
- Twenty-seventh session (March 24 to April 4, 2014)
- Twenty-sixth session (February 3 to February 7, 2014)