The Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Division organized, in cooperation with the Ministry of Industry and Foreign Trade of Italy, a Forum on Intellectual Property and Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, in Milan, Italy, on February 9 and 10, 2001.
The main objective of the Forum was to review the role of the intellectual property system in enhancing the competitiveness of small and medium-sized enterprises. It also provided an opportunity to inform the participants about the initiatives of WIPO on this subject and a plan of action was adopted. Presentations were made by a number of eminent speakers and experts in the field.
Participants included high-level officials from Member States of WIPO as well as representatives from intergovernmental organizations, national SME support institutions, non-governmental organizations and entrepreneurs.
The program covered the following items:
- Fostering the Innovation Potential of SMEs in the Globalization era: The Role of Patents
- Promoting the Marketing Potential of SMEs: The Role of the Trademark and Industrial Design Systems
- SMEs and the Copyright Sector Success Stories
- New Enterprises in the Digital Era
- Panel Discussion on Utilization of the Intellectual Property System for Enhanced Competitiveness in the Knowledge-Based Economy Opportunities for SMEs
Copies of documents provided at the Forum are available on-line.