October 3, 2013
The WIPO Assemblies ended late on Wednesday night with agreement on many points on its agenda, but without reaching agreement on some important points, which have now been referred for decision to December 2013, when it was agreed that an extraordinary session of the Assemblies should be convened to consider the outstanding items.
Among the key points already agreed by the Assemblies were:
Outstanding items include:
- WIPO’s program and budget for the 2014/15 biennium, including the establishment of new external offices.
- Possible convening of a diplomatic conference for the adoption of a design law treaty to develop simplified standards for industrial design registration procedures.
- Decisions related to the report of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights.
Member states elected Ambassador Päivi Kairamo, who is also the Permanent Representative of Finland to the United Nations and other international organizations in Geneva to the position of chair of the WIPO General Assembly for the period 2013 to 2015. Ambassador Fode Seck, Permanent Representative of Senegal to the United Nations and other international organizations in Geneva, was elected Chair of the WIPO Coordination Committee for the period from 2013 to 2014.
For further information, please contact the Media Relations Section at WIPO:
- Tel: (+41 22) - 338 81 61 / 338 72 24
- Fax: (+41 22) - 338 81 40