WIPO and University of Cape Town to Offer Executive Program on Strategic IP Management
March 5, 2008
Business managers and senior executives and corporate strategists can register on-line at http://www.wipo.int/academy/en/execed/sipm/za_apr_08/index.html to participate in the first executive program on strategic intellectual property (IP) management to be held in Africa. The course, which will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, on April 15 and 16, 2008 is being organized by the Worldwide Academy of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in cooperation with the Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town, one of Africa’s leading business schools.
This intensive program for senior executives is an opportunity for business decision-makers to gain valuable insights into how to leverage IP strategically to create value and sustain competitive advantage over time in a rapidly changing technological and commercial environment. Intellectual property is a valuable corporate asset and a strategic business tool, the increasing significance of which is forcing business organizations to actively manage IP as a key driver for building and sustaining competitive advantage.
Leading academics from world-renowned business schools and corporations will share insights and experiences on strategic IP management using lectures, case studies, best practices and group discussions. Participants will have an opportunity to learn from each other, share experiences, reflect and apply the principles and practices of IP management in their respective business environments.
The course will cover:
- Intellectual Property (IP) viewed as a management option
- IP and technology management
- IP and finance
- Strategic use of WIPO’s global IP protection and dispute resolution systems
- IP strategy in global corporations and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Case examples from different industries.
- Mr. Tony Hadjiloucas, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, London, specializes in providing valuation and royalty rate determination advice in connection with patents, brands and branded businesses, know-how, software, trade secrets and other intangible assets for commercial, litigation and financial reporting purposes. He will examine ways of using brand identity to reinforce market value.
- Mr. Robert Pitkethly, University Lecturer, Said Business School, Oxford University, whose research interests bridge the fields of Strategic Management and Intellectual Property Law and primarily concern Intellectual Property Management (IP). This includes material which might fall within the fields of Business and Corporate Strategy, IP Law, Management of IP, Management of Technology, Valuation of Technology and IP and Asian Studies. Robert is qualified as a UK Chartered Patent Agent and European Patent Attorney and has an MBA from INSEAD.
- Mr. Tony Tangena, Senior Vice President and Country Manager Netherlands, Philips Intellectual Property & Standards, who is senior vice president and country manager Netherlands of Philips Intellectual Property & Standards (IP&S). IP&S is the worldwide organization responsible for all IPR matters within Royal Philips Electronics.
- Leading personalities from the South African corporate world will also be on site to share their thoughts and experiences on IP management during power lunch and dinner sessions.
- Tel: (+41 22) 338 81 61 / 338 72 24
- Fax: (+41 22) 338 81 40