Chapter XI: Fees
The International Filing Fee
241. The International Filing Fee. The amount of the international filing fee is set out (in Swiss francs) in the Schedule of Fees, which is annexed to the Regulations, and is payable in the currency or one of the currencies prescribed by the receiving Office. The amount of the international filing fee depends on the total number of sheets of the international application at the time of filing, which appears under “Total number of sheets” in Box No. IX (check list) of the request. If the international application contains more than 30 sheets, a supplement to the international filing fee must be paid for each sheet in excess of 30 (Rules 15.2(a) and 96 and the Schedule of Fees). This supplement is also due for the sheet containing the abstract, even where such abstract is missing at the time of filing the international application.
242. Where an international application containing a sequence listing is filed on paper6, any sheet of the sequence listing is counted as a regular page of the international application (Section 707).
246A. Reduction of International Filing Fee where the Request Is Filed Using PCT EASY Software. The international filing fee is reduced by an amount set out in item 4(a) of the Schedule of Fees, which is annexed to the Regulations, if a request which complies with the requirements of Section 102bis(a) is filed using PCT EASY software and the receiving Office decides to accept the filing of requests in PCT EASY format (Section 102bis(c); see also paragraphs 165A and 165B).
247. Reduction of International Filing Fee for Applicants from Certain States. An applicant who is a natural person and who is a national of and resides in a State whose per capita national income is below 3,000 US dollars (according to the average per capita national income figures used by the United Nations for determining its scale of assessments for the contributions payable for the years 1995, 1996 and 1997), or who is a national of and resides in one of the following States: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Barbados, Libya, Oman, the Seychelles, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago and the United Arab Emirates, or an applicant, whether a natural person or not, who is a national of and resides in a State that is classed as a least developed country by the United Nations is entitled, in accordance with the Schedule of Fees, to a reduction of 90% of certain PCT fees including the international filing fee. Information about the PCT Contracting States whose nationals and residents are entitled to such reduction is contained in the PCT Applicant's Guide, International Phase, Annex C. If there are several applicants, each must satisfy the above-mentioned criteria. The reduction of the international filing fee applies automatically to any international application whose applicant or applicants are so entitled on the basis of the indications of name, nationality and residence given in Boxes Nos. II and III of the request. No specific request for such reduction need to be made by the applicants concerned.
248. The fee reduction is available even if one or more of the applicants are not from Contracting States, provided that each of them is a national and resident of a State that meets the above-mentioned criteria and that at least one of the applicants is a national or resident of a Contracting State and thus is entitled to file an international application. For the Contracting States whose nationals and residents are eligible, see the PCT Applicant's Guide, Annex C. For States which are not Contracting States, the receiving Office should contact the International Bureau.
249. Where the applicant is, or all applicants are, as the case may be, entitled to the reduction of the international filing fee, the amount payable (Box I of the Fee calculation sheet) is 10% of international filing fee (Box I of the Fee calculation sheet).
249A. The reduction of the international filing fee for applicants from certain States is calculated on the basis of the amount of the international filing fee payable after any separate reduction related to the use of the PCT EASY software (see paragraph 246A).
6 Where the international application is filed in electronic form, the pages of the sequence listing part of the description will not be considered for the purposes of the calculation of the international filing fee if they are submitted in Annex C/ST. 25 compliant text format. However, if the sequence listing part is submitted in any other format (e.g. PDF), these pages of sequence listing will count as any other pages of the description for the purposes of calculating the international filing fee.