A new release of the ePCT system (version 3.3) was deployed on 30 May 2016. This latest version of the ePCT system will be the last version with the current interface, as a new look and feel for ePCT is currently being developed and will be launched before the end of 2016, along with additional options for secure login as a more efficient alternative to digital certificates.
Some of the new features of the latest release of the ePCT system are discussed below.
ePCT for applicants
The ePCT‑Filing function in the ePCT portal includes the following new features:
- priority claims – where possible, the date of filing of the earlier application that has been indicated is validated against the year component of the earlier application number. This validation has been introduced to minimize errors in the indication of the date of the earlier application;
- payment of fees – it is now possible to indicate that you intend to pay the fees to the International Bureau (IB) by bank transfer (in which case you will automatically receive an e‑mail after filing with the payment details required to make the transfer); and
- it is now possible to add draft international applications to a portfolio prior to filing.
Other new ePCT features include:
- in ePCT private services, the possibility to search by file reference for an international application to which you have access rights;
- the ability to remove all ePCT access rights for an eHandshake user in one operation;
- in ePCT private services, workbench filter options are saved and applied again by default the next time you log in; and
- any draft translations of the title and abstract that are under preparation by the IB are now flagged as being subject to change.
For further information on the above changes, including relevant screen shots, as well as information on other changes included in this latest release, please see:
ePCT for receiving Offices, designated Offices and International Authorities
The new version of ePCT for Offices (version 3.3) offers a number of new features for receiving Offices (ROs), designated Offices (DOs) and International Searching Authorities (ISAs) and International Preliminary Examining Authorities (IPEAs), as well as various improvements to existing modules. Some of the new features are:
- ROs: a new Office action allowing the RO to manage fees through one single screen, and the possibility to carry out a search of international applications filed at the receiving Office which have not yet been received by the IB;
- DOs: the addition of an action allowing national Offices to notify the IB about national phase events, such as publication, grant, refusal, withdrawal and expiration, so that this information can be made available on PATENTSCOPE, as well as in the IB’s national phase information databases;
- ISAs: the possibility to prepare through ePCT Office actions the international search report and the written opinion of the ISA, as well as other ISA forms; and
- IPEAs: a new management report enabling IPEAs to identify outstanding international preliminary examination reports.
For further details on these and other changes, please see:
For further information on ePCT in general, including how to get started, please go to:
or contact the PCT eServices Help Desk at:
telephone: (+41–22) 338 9523
or via the
“contact us” link at: http://www.wipo.int/contact/en/area.jsp?area=patentscope&area2=epct