How to retrieve and install your certificate
This user guide has been prepared using Internet Explorer 8.0. The screenshots and other details may differ if you use a different version of the browser.
Even if you do not plan to use the certificate immediately for e-filing purposes, it is important to go through the following steps in order to make a backup of your certificate.
Once you have received the approval e-mail from the WIPO Customer CA, you can proceed with the installation of your digital certificate. The e-mail provides you with a hyperlink to the Digital ID Center. Please note that you need to use the same computer and internet browser as for the original enrollment.
1. Click PICK UP ID.
2. Enter the Personal Identification Number (PIN). To avoid typing errors, it is recommended to copy the PIN from the approval e-mail and paste it into the field below. Then click Submit.
3. Click Yes.
4. Your certificate is now installed in the system and can be used in the browser.
5. You can view and manage your digital certificate in Internet Explorer, and in order to use it for e-filing purposes in PCT-SAFE, it has to be exported from the browser.
Click Tools and select Internet Options.
6. Open the Content tab and click Certificates.
7. Select the certificate to be exported under the Personal tab and then click Export.
8. In the Certificate Export Wizard, click Next.
9. Tick the box to export the private key and click Next.
10. Tick the first and third box of the Personal Information Exchange and click Next.
11. Enter a password of your choice and confirm it. This password will be needed for electronically signing and submitting PCT-SAFE applications. Click Next.
12. Click Browse.
13. The default certificate location in the PCT-SAFE client software is the C:\PCT-SAFE\PKCS12 folder. Provide a name for your certificate (e.g. MyWIPOCert); the file extension will be added automatically. Click Open.
14. Click Next.
15. Click Finish.
16. Enter the password you created at step 11.
17. Your certificate is now stored in the C:\PCT-SAFE\PKCS12 folder. It is strongly recommended to keep a backup copy of the certificate file in a location outside the PCT-SAFE folder (e.g. on a portable memory device in order to be used on other computers if necessary).
19. Open the PCT-SAFE client software to make sure that the settings for the use of the certificate are correct; click Tools and Settings.
20. If not already selected, tick the software certificate (OpenSSL) box and click OK. Your WIPO Customer CA digital certificate is now ready to be used in the PCT-SAFE client software.
Next: How to import your certificate