Additional features added to PATENTSCOPE® search service
September 21, 2006
Two new features have been added to help you search PATENTSCOPE®'s database of PCT International Applications.
Choose which text sources to searchThe first feature is available on the Advanced Search interface allowing you to choose which text to search. You can search the Front Page bibliographic text (including abstracts) or the Full Text. The Front Page option will, by default, search only front page text unless a specific search term or phrase is preceded by a field code. It is possible to search the claims or description by preceding each specific search term with CL/ or DE/ respectively. The Full Text option searches all bibliographic text as well as the available full text of Claims and Descriptions, unless specific search terms or phrases are preceded by a field code. The Content page, on the left hand menu, details the date range availability of full text claims and descriptions.
The Structured Search page allows you to search all fields including the Claims and Description by putting your search term after Any Field. Or, choose the field Front Page to limit your search to bibliographic data only.
If, for example, you wish to search for the phrase text messaging in every field including the claims and description, you have several options:
- The shortest option is to type "text messaging" in the Advanced Search interface with Full Text selected.
- Type CL/"text messaging" or DE/"text messaging" or "text messaging" in the Advanced Search interface with Front Page selected.
- Or, in the Structured Search interface type text messaging and choose the Any Field field.
But, if you wish to limit your search to bibliographic data fields only, you have several other options as shown below. Each of the following queries will return the same list of results.
- Type "text messaging" in the Advanced Search interface with Front Page selected.
- Type FP/"text messaging" in the Advanced Search interface with Full Text selected.
- Or, in the Structured search interface choose the Front Page field and type text messaging in the adjacent box.
The Structured Search page allows you to search all text including Claims and Descriptions by selecting Any Field. If you wish to search only front page text choose Front Page.
Highlighted termsThe second feature adds colored highlights to your 'searched for' terms in the Description and Claims tabs and shows how your terms are distributed throughout the document and in relation to each other.
After clicking the General Term Distribution icon in the top right of the tab, you can see the quantity and location of 'searched for' terms in relation to each other in the Description or Claims tab you are in. The total number of all terms found is stated at the top of the chart. Hovering over each colored block will:
- highlight and state which term the block relates to and
- state the number of nearby occurrences of the specific term.
Clicking a colored block will take you to a nearby relatively located occurrence of the term in the full text. That is, clicking a term in the middle of the chart will take you to a term in the middle of the full text. Clicking that term will take you to the next occurrence of the term and so on