WO/BC/19/2 - WO/PC/9/2
DATE: May 11, 1998
WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ORGANIZATION
Geneva, June 4 and 5, 1998
Geneva, June 4 and 5, 1998
QUESTIONS ON PREMISES RAISED BY CERTAIN MEMBER STATES AND ANSWERS PREPARED BY THE SECRETARIAT
Memorandum of the Director General
1. On the occasion of the March 23 and 25, 1998, joint session of the Budget and Premises Committees, several delegations stated that they needed further information in order to be able to make decisions concerning premises. Those delegations said that they would like to work with the Secretariat to resolve their questions.
2. In a letter dated April 14, 1998, the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the United States of America sent the Director General a letter with a number of questions attached; that letter and those questions are contained in Attachment 1 of this document, and the Director General's reply, dated April 24, 1998, is contained in Attachment 2.
3. The Permanent Mission of Canada requested the Secretariat to provide further information regarding the long term needs of the Organization, in particular, background to and basis for the forecasts of the growth in numbers of WIPO staff members, to the year 2008.
4. The Permanent Mission of Japan requested further information on the impact of information technology on the forecasts of growth in numbers of WIPO staff needs to the year 2008.
5. The Secretariat sent to the Permanent Missions of Canada, Japan and the United States of America copies of the documents concerning premises previously issued by WIPO, over the last two years, a list of which is contained in Attachment 3. The Secretariat also sent those Permanent Missions copies, in electronic form, of the Deloitte & Touche study entitled WIPO Evaluation Study into the Information and Document Management Needs of the PCT Sector. Copies of any of the above-mentioned documents or the electronic form of the said Deloitte & Touche study will be provided on request.
6. The Secretariat has prepared answers to the questions from the Permanent Mission of the United States of America, Canada and Japan, and following informal consultations with staff of those Permanent Missions, sent to each of those Permanent Missions on April 27, 1998, the paper entitled Responses to Questions on Premises from the Permanent Mission of the United States of America, which is contained in Attachment 4 to this document, and the paper entitled Background to Forecasts of Numbers of WIPO Staff, Contained in Paragraphs 16 to 21 of Document WO/GA/22/1, which is contained in Attachment 5 to this document. The latter paper is the first of eight annexes of the former paper; the other seven annexes, which provide background information not prepared specifically in response to the questions of the above-mentioned Permanent Missions, are listed at the end of Attachment 4 to this document; copies of any of those annexes will be provided on request.