How to manage your international registration: Change in ownership

To record a total or partial change in ownership, use form MM5.

In order to be entitled to own the international registration totally or in part, the new owner (the transferee) must have a business, be domiciled in a Contracting Party or be a national of a Contracting Party.

Form MM5 may be presented to WIPO directly by the holder, through the Office of the Contracting Party of the (recorded) holder or through the Office of the Contracting Party of the new owner (transferee).

WIPO does not require evidence of the change in ownership. No supporting documents (such as copies of the deed of assignment or other contract) should be sent to WIPO.

For further information on changes in ownership, see paragraphs B.II.60.01 to 69.05 of the Guide to the International Registration of Marks under the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol and pages 28 to 33 of “Making the most of the Madrid System”.