To be entitled to file an international application, an applicant must satisfy at least one of the following conditions (entitlements):
- be a national of a Contracting Party;
- be a national of a Member State of an intergovernmental organization which is a Contracting Party (such as the European Union or the African Intellectual Property Organization);
- have a domicile in the territory of a Contracting Party;
- have a real and effective industrial or commercial establishment in the territory of a Contracting Party, or only under the Geneva (1999) Act
- have a habitual residence in a Contracting Party.